Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Changes

I realized today that over a month has passed since my last blog post!  I knew it had been awhile, but man an entire month is getting a little extreme.  I would say that it's just because life has been so busy lately, but I am sure I have said that a time or two before already.

So what has been going on this past month?  Soooo many changes!!

First and foremost, my wonderful husband celebrated his 26th birthday yesterday.  This man...
who I sometimes feel unworthy of.  This man who I try so hard to keep up with.  This man who amazes me every single day at his hard work, dedication, and knowledge.

I guess we have had a few things going on here lately that I haven't exactly let out of the bag.  I didn't want to spread the new around until we had figured everything out for ourselves.  I think I have finally let the realization set in that we may not have it figured out ourselves for awhile and we just have to let God handle this.  Between our trust in God, our strength from leaning on one another, and many prayers from family and friends I know we can make it through this.  Josh has decided to go back to school.  Honestly, I am beyond proud and so thrilled.  I have always wanted this for him.  It almost happened about a year and a half ago right after we got married, but after varied advice Josh decided against it.  He has a great job and is a wonderful pipe fitter, but he feels like something is missing in his life.  He has decided to go back to school for drafting and design.  For the person like me who knows nothing about the lay of the land in oil terms, I kind of compare it to an architect for the oil field.  He is very excited about the future, but we are both a little nervous about the right now and the unknown of his schedule and what it may do to a job that he loves.  He started in early July, one class for the summer.  Of course this course like many others requires lots of prerequisites before he can actually get to the meat and potatoes.  This summer class is college algebra or something of the sort.  Josh is a math whiz, but still what he is doing is super hard.  I have been absolutely no help from day one.  Math isn't my thing.  That sweet husband of mine has determination though.  He goes to class every morning from 7:30 to 10:30.  After class he heads straight to work and works from anywhere between 5:30 and 7.  He comes home exhausted and heads straight to the kitchen to hit the books.  I sit up with him watching him work every night.  I know I can't help him, but I figure I am being supportive.  So by 10-11 he is finishing up for the night and wrapping up his studying.  It is a TOUGH schedule.  He is doing fabulously even though I know he must be dead tired.  We keep telling ourselves this is only for another month.  After this, hopefully, the schedule will be a little less intense in the fall.  But we don't know that for sure, and that is what keeps us anxious about the future.  Regardless, I couldn't be more proud of his determination, self discipline, and unbelievable knowledge.

That's our major change.  Besides that, we are also enduring lots of minor, insignificant changes as well.  We are working as a family to become more active.  It is hot as hell outside, but the majority of the time we would rather be outside doing something than cooped up indoors (and if you know me don't fall out of your chair reading that...I know it's hard to believe).  I started a six week fit camp about six weeks ago.  It helped to get me motivated to exercise a little more.  I don't like telling people that.  Generally for me, as soon as I tell someone that I have started exercising it is like the kiss of death, and it is not long after that I fizzle out.  Maybe this time though it will help to give me a little more accountability.  I am hoping so at least.  For now it seems to be working.  I am starting to see other changes in myself as well.  I crave salads, water, and small meals...things that generally aren't me.  It may not last forever, but I am hoping that I can at least stick to the basic principles just so Josh and I can become a little more healthy if nothing else.  This is the biggest shocker and challenge rolled all in one...we have dramatically cut back our eating out.  The reasoning behind that was really two-fold.  With Josh starting back school we needed to start cutting as many corners as we could to save money...eating out only made sense to be the first thing to go.  I can also cook a lot healthier than we can eat if we eat out, so really (besides the fact that I don't really enjoy cooking every single night) it's a win-win situation.

And on top of all those changes, I can see things changing inside of me as well.  Interests and activities are changing for me.  Josh and I both used to live our weekly night lives based on what came on TV.  We had our shows that we either watched or DVR'd religiously.  But now I honestly cannot remember the last time we really sat down and watched TV.  Occasionally we will watch whatever is on TV if we have a few minutes to just sit and chill while we eat supper, but we really aren't even watching then.  Our shows that we used to be so obsessed with have been on the DVR so long without being watched that most of them have been erased.  I don't know what it is for me, maybe work, maybe new stresses in life....now I just feel like music is the cure for my soul.  I come home, crank up the radio, and get to work cleaning or cooking or whatever.  Maybe it's age.  Maybe we are getting old.

Two weekends ago we threw a surprise 50th birthday party for my mom.  It went off fabulously!  The attendance wasn't quite what I expected, but it didn't matter because she had a blast.  Meagen was my life-saver and ultimate decorator.  I was thrilled we were able to keep the secret for so long!

Wonderful location!

Cake was probably the biggest hit ever...ESPECIALLY with the birthday girl!!

New Nook for the 50th b'day!

Sweet Mama and Brother!

This past weekend was our annual river weekend for Josh's birthday.  It was a blast as usual...my favorite weekend of the entire year.  I love going to a place where your main priority is to relax and have fun.  We even had surprise guests with the Baker/Smith family, and it absolutely completed my trip.  We floated a quick trip down the river Saturday morning and then headed to the white sands lake for the rest of the day.  Perfect day with awesome friends who have become more like family.

The best friends a girl could ask for!

Pretty sure he loves her more than me, but that's ok because I do too!

Favorite place in the world with my favorite man!

So we have had a lot of life happening here lately.  Luckily, we wouldn't have it any other way!  Summertime isn't over yet, and I am hoping there are many more trips to the lake, staying up way to late, hanging with friends, and becoming a closer family days in our future for these next few hot months.  We will just take the changes and the craziness that ensues in stride!  What else can you do?



No comments:

Post a Comment